Our family's big disappointment

Well, we were concerned that this might happen, and last Thursday it was confirmed. Our baby that looked like it was doing well, heartbeat and all (minus a large blood clot next to it) passed away. It has taken me a week to even want to talk about it to anyone. Last week was a total emotional roller coaster. So, as a family we decided it would be best for us to heal our broken hearts together before we tried to talk with anyone else. As much as we wanted this baby, we are hoping that the doctors will be able to give us some answers as to why this keeps happening. Our OBGYN seems to think that I have an underlying condition that might be causing the subchorionic hematomas when I am pregnant. If there is, there are things that they can give me before and during pregnancy to help prevent it in the future. The thought of having an uncomplicated pregnancy is unfathomable to me. It is all I've known for all 8 times I have been pregnant. The scary thing for me is that the #8 means that I have a true 50-50 chance of a successful/unsuccessful pregnancy. I don't like those odds at all. For now, we are taking a break from trying again for a few months. Following my D&C last Friday, my doctor wants my levels to return to normal then run some blood tests to look for those underlying causes of my miscarriages and complications. Hopefully he will find some answers. For now, I am just enjoying feeling the best I have in months (physically that is) and enjoying my wonderful children that I have been blessed with. They, and Sam, are everything to me and have been such wonderful helpers and supporters of me through this time. I am so grateful for them, and for all of you who have showed love and support to our family. We appreciate everything!

5 comments:

brian derrick said...

Thank you for sharing with us, you've opened the door for others to comfort you and let you know how much we care. We were broken-hearted as well for you when we heard the news from Newell last week. You've been in our prayers.

We love you!
Brian and Lori

Elicia said...

We are praying for you all! Please know that we care about you and have been thinking about you all week. My heart aches for you.

Travis and Jamie said...

I'm so sorry Rachel. Hopefully they figure it all out. Our Bishop's wife in Kentucky had the same problem. I can't remember how many miscarriages she had. Eventually they put her on blood thinners for a the first couple of months and every thing went smoothly with her final pregnancy. We'll keep you guys in our prayers.

S+S said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. That is very disappointing and hard I am sure. I can't believe you have been pregnant eight times. I hope that your doctor can find a way to help you keep the baby next time. Keep your chin up.

Carrie said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. We will keep you in our prayers that they will find some answers for you.