Junior Zookeepers

This spring I got to work at the Dallas zoo! Before I started, I had to get a TB shot then be interviewed. I made it in and got the Tuesday A.M. shift, which meant my shift was from 8:00 A.M. to 12:30 P.M. Since we live so far away from the zoo, I had to get up at 6:30 to make it on time. Working was a lot of fun!! I went every week and helped with animals in the Children's Zoo. I mostly helped with the rabbits and the guinea pigs, but I also helped by cleaning out a sheep stall, cleaning the Koi skimmer baskets, washing windows and tables, and sweeping the barn.

Me in front of the Barn

Almost every week we went on a tour with the P.M. shift JZ's and the Conservation Guides (the program for 13 and up). My favorite one was when we got to go and see all the animals the zoo uses for birthday parties, shows, and other things you normally have to pay to do. They even let us touch a turtle, a Brazilian 3-banded armadillo (the only armadillo that can completely roll into a ball), and a lesser anteater! Towards the middle of the session, they did an evaluation on how we were doing with our job. The week before our last day, they told us the results. I got all five's, which is the best you can do! There were five main sections, and a bunch of parts to each one. I got all fives on the main parts, and only one of the smaller parts was a four (that was encourages hand-washing)! On the last day, we had an end of Spring Session party. We had cookies and ice cream sundaes! At the end, we all got pictures of an animal at the zoo, a certificate, and save the frog bracelets.
Me and my favorite rabbit, Elliot.
(My favorite guinea pig, Gwen, is in the box behind me.)
I really enjoyed Junior Zookeepers, and I really can't wait to do it again in the fall!
-- Brie

0 comments: